Kale Caesar Salad
Kale Caesar Salad with Parmesan Crisps
What are fricos? Parmesan crisps (or fricos, to use their Italian name) make for a visually stunning and devilishly delicious upgrade from the traditional crouton in this Caesar salad. And while they look impossibly intricate, they couldn’t be easier to make on Cinder’s super-non-stick plates.
Transform this dish from spectacular side into the star of the meal by adding a perfectly cooked chicken breast - check out our chicken recipes.
- 1 small head lettuce
- 1 small bunch kale
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 2 anchovy fillets
- Tear the kale into small pieces, discarding the tough stalks. Place in a bowl, adding the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Massage the lemon and salt into the kale leaves and set aside to tenderize.
- To make the parmesan crisps, set your Cinder device to 375 F. Once the plates have come up to temperature, sprinkle a quarter of a cup of grated parmesan directly onto the grill in a thin, even circle. The cheese will begin to sizzle and, after about a minute, will be fully melted and turn golden brown.
- Once this occurs, switch off the device and allow to cool for an additional minute. After the cheese has cooled slightly, use a spatula to gently pry the crisp from the grill and transfer to a plate. Repeat this process twice more, until you have four crisps and two tablespoons of parmesan remaining.
- To make the dressing, add the remaining two tablespoons of parmesan in the bowl of a food processor, along with the mayonnaise, water, red wine vinegar, garlic, and anchovies. Blend until smooth.
- To serve, tear the lettuce into pieces and add to a large plate along with the kale. Drizzle over the dressing and add fragments of the parmesan crisps for a savory garnish.