Seared Scallops with Spicy Pea and Edamame Purée
Scallops can easily turn dry or rubbery when cooked in a traditional pan. On the Cinder, Grill however, they’ll be perfectly tender and juicy every time. To bring out the subtle sweetness of the shellfish, they’re paired here with a mildly spiced pea and edamame purée.
SERVES 4 (as a starter)
- 12 scallops
- 1 cup cooked edamame beans
- 1 cup cooked peas
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp wasabi paste
- 1 cup microgreens
- Black pepper
- Canola oil
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Set your Cinder device to your desired temperature (125°F is recommended for rare) and add the scallops to the grill.
- While the scallops are cooking, prepare the purée. Add the edamame, peas, sour cream, lime juice, oils, and wasabi to the bowl of a food processor and blend until relatively smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper (feel free to add additional wasabi or lime here for an additional kick).
- Once the scallops have come up to temperature, remove them from the grill, wipe down the plates, and set your device to sear mode. Brush the hot plates with a little canola oil and return the scallops, searing until golden brown.
- To assemble the dish, take a large spoonful of the purée and place off-center of the plate. Using the back of the spoon, smear the purée into a soft curve. Dot the scallops on top of the purée and finish with microgreens and flaky salt.
Note: Don't leave the scallops for more than two hours at 125°F. These come out deliciously so your guests will probably eat them in two minutes!