A delicious smashburger is our grilling go-to. Why bother smashing? If you’ve ever had a burger with an incredible texture, it was probably smashed. It’s the secret to a delightfully crisp and beefy crust and brilliant in this recipe with a special secret sauce. Watch the smashburger video to find out how to make smash burgers on your indoor grill.
How to make a smash burger
You can use Cinder’s lid to get perfectly crispy hamburger edges i.e. the best part of any hamburger, along the whole surface. In fact, this a recipe where your Cinder Grill will shine - use Cinder for the burger, bacon, melting the cheese and toasting the bun.
If you don't have a Cinder Grill, a large sturdy spatula will do for smashing. Don't make a smash burger directly on grill plates on an outdoor grill. You'll lose all the incredible juice and flavor through the gaps in your outdoor grill.
Tips on making the best smash burger
To create the best smash burger at home, you'll want a loose ball of ground beef, preferably 80% beef, 20% fat. The fat is crucial for flavor and the recipe only needs salt and pepper to make beef sing. Don't worry about shaping it into a perfect circle - the grisly edges will have tons of flavor and an epic crispy texture.
When the beef smashes against the Cinder grill plates, you maximize the surface area where caramelization can happen. Every nook and cranny of your beef patty will experience the Maillard reaction creating great flavor and a preposterously juicy center (thanks to the 20% fat content).
The smash burger is perfect with a brioche bun or potato bun.
Bacon Cheese Smash Burger
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- Splash of pickle juice
FOR THE SMASH BURGER
- 2 burger buns
- 2 tbsp Canola oil
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 0.5 lb ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices of lettuce
- 2 slices of your favorite burger cheese: we like American cheese or Cheddar
- Pickle slices
- Set your Cinder Grill to 400°F/205°C. You’ll cook all the ingredients at this temperature and keep the lid open while cooking.
- Mix ingredients for secret sauce and set aside.
- When Cinder reaches 400, toast the bun sides for 45 seconds.
- Add the canola oil to Cinder and add the bacon. Cook bacon for 4 minutes on each side. Remove the bacon from the grill and set aside.
- Form loose 1/4 lb balls of ground beef.
- Place the beef on the Cinder, smash firmly against the grill using a spatula or Cinder lid, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the burgers, add cheese and cook for an additional 3 minutes until the cheese melts into the burger.
- Now you’re ready to assemble the burger. Place one side of the bun, spoon the secret sauce on the bun. Add lettuce and layer the burger patty with melted cheese, crispy bacon, pickles, more lettuce and even more of the secret sauce. Serve and enjoy!