Cornish Game Hens by Michelin Starred Chef John Critchley
Cornish hens make for a fantastic dish on the Cinder Grill. Rubbed with Bzar spice and served with some Basmati rice and fresh herbs, this dish gives has an authentic Emirati flair.
- 2 each Cornish hens, split, backbone removed
- 1 Tbsp Black peppercorn
- 1 tsp Cardamom, Green
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Seed
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Seed
- 1 Tbsp Red Chili, Crushed
- 1 tsp Cloves, Ground
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Thyme, dried
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- ½ tsp Nutmeg, Ground
- Olive Oil as needed
- Combine the dry spices in a mortar and pestle. Grind until all the seeds are crushed and mixture is evenly dispersed
- Rub the cornish hens with the mixture, wrap with saran wrap and allow to refrigerate for 2-4 hours if you have the time. (if not, allow to rest for at least 15 minutes at room temperature prior to cooking)
- Place the hens on the Cinder grill and set it to 167°F, close the lid and start cooking (approximately 75 minutes) Use the app setting for poultry, dark meat falling off the bone.
- When temperature has been reached, remove the hens from the Cinder and wipe away the residue for a clean surface.
- Turn the temperature dial to sear.
- Rub the hens with olive oil and place on Cinder grill. Close the lid.
- Sear for 1.5 to 3 minutes with the skin side down.
- Remove from Cinder grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve over steamed Basmati rice with fresh herbs.