Shishito Peppers with Ginger Kabayaki Glaze by Michelin Starred Chef John Critchley
These thin skinned peppers roast up quickly on Cinder. You can pair them with a lot of different ingredients and sauces and they are terrific with olive oil, lemon and sea salt. This gingery soy glaze is perfect for them as well.
- 1 Pound Shishito Peppers
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Sea Salt, Coarse
- 2 each Cilantro sprigs
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, fresh, minced
- 1/2 cup Mirin, sweet rice wine
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Honey (or plain granulated sugar but i prefer something with more flavor)
- 1/2 tsp korean red chili flakes
- For the sauce, combine ginger, mirin, soy sauce and honey in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce to medium heat and cook until slightly thickened and reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and season with korean chili flakes or your favorite fine chili powder
- While the sauce is cooling, preheat the cinder grill to 425°F
- Toss the peppers with the peanut oil and sea salt to coat
- Place the peppers on the grill and close the lid
- Set a timer for 2 minutes
- Check to see that the peppers are blistered and slightly softened
- Remove from Cinder and toss in a bowl with the sauce and cilantro
- Transfer to a sharing plate and sprinkle with more cilantro and sea salt