Shishito Peppers with Ginger Kabayaki Glaze
Shishito Peppers with Ginger Kabayaki Glaze by Michelin Starred Chef John Critchley
These thin skinned peppers roast up quickly on Cinder. You can pair them with many different ingredients and sauces and they are terrific with olive oil, lemon and sea salt. This gingery soy glaze is perfect for them as well.
- 1 Pound Shishito Peppers
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Sea Salt, Coarse
- 2 each Cilantro sprigs
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, fresh, minced
- 1/2 cup Mirin, sweet rice wine
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Honey (or plain granulated sugar but i prefer something with more flavor)
- 1/2 tsp korean red chili flakes
- For the sauce, combine ginger, mirin, soy sauce and honey in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce to medium heat and cook until slightly thickened and reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and season with korean chili flakes or your favorite fine chili powder
- While the sauce is cooling, preheat the cinder grill to 425°F
- Toss the peppers with the peanut oil and sea salt to coat
- Place the peppers on the grill and close the lid
- Set a timer for 2 minutes
- Check to see that the peppers are blistered and slightly softened
- Remove from Cinder and toss in a bowl with the sauce and cilantro
- Transfer to a sharing plate and sprinkle with more cilantro and sea salt