Whole Chicken by Michelin Starred Chef John Critchley
By having its backbone removed (known as spatchcocking) a 2.5 pound chicken lays flat on the Cinder Grill and cooks with amazing accuracy. Once at the desired temperature (153°F) you can remove the chicken, heat the Cinder up to searing temperature and use a prolonged sear to achieve a golden brown.
1 each 2.5 lb chicken, back bone removed
2 Tbsp Sea Salt, Finely Ground
1 Tbsp Black Pepper, Coarsely Ground
1 each Lemon, Sliced into 1/4 inch rings
1 Tbsp Olive Oil, for searing
- Rinse the chicken thoroughly in cold water and pat dry.
- On a clean cutting board, lay the chicken skin side down and press flat.
- Season with salt and pepper and rub into the bones, legs and breasts to be sure it’s evenly coated.
- Place lemon rings on top of the chicken and press firmly.
- Place chicken breast down on the Cinder Grill, close the lid gently and use the Cinder app to set the Grill to 160°F.
- When the chickenl reaches temperature and the App alerts you, carefully remove the chicken from the grill and place, skin side up, on a clean plate. Reserve the lemon slices for serving.
- Wipe your grill plates clean with a damp towel and set the Cinder to sear (450°F)
- Once the Grill has reached temperature, brush olive oil on the chicken skin and place skin side up on the cinder grill.
- Lower the top of the grill gently onto the chicken and push the button for sear.
- Once the 45 seconds is up you can hit the button to sear for another 45 seconds.
- Lift the lid carefully and remove the chicken to a serving tray.