Fig and Cheese Toast
Fig and Cheese Toast by Michelin Starred Chef John Critchley
Toasts, or “bruschetta”, are super popular everywhere from casual tapas to fine dining. It all starts with great fresh bread, a crunchy exterior, slathered in butter or olive oil, giving way to a warm chewy interior. Top these with the freshest ingredients and you'll have a great appetizer to share.
- 1 each Red onion, cut into rings 1/3 inch thick
- 2 Tbsp Clover honey
- 2 Tbsp good olive oil
- 2 Tbsp aged sherry vinegar
- 1/2 each sprig rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 each 1 inch slices of country bread
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 pint fresh brown Turkish figs, cut in quarters
- 1/4 pound Cypress Grove, Hum-bolt Fog goat cheese, sliced
For the poached red onion
- Set the Cinder grill using the cinder app to the cipollini onion setting for a slow cook to 185°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, olive oil, sherry vinegar, rosemary, salt and pepper and mix using a pastry brush.
- Brush the onions with the honey mixture and reserve half of the mixture to marinate the figs later.
- Place the onions on the Cinder and close the lid. Hit begin cooking on the app and cook until temperature is reached. Approximately 22 minutes.
- Once the onions are finished cooking, set aside on a plate for the assembly and wipe down the grill plates for the next use.
For the Toasts
- Brush the slices of bread with melted butter and set your cleaned Cinder to 350°F. Once temperature is reached, place bread on cinder and close the lid. (cinder will do two pieces at a time of these big loaves) set a timer for 5 minutes.
- Remove all the bread from the cinder and bring to your cutting board for assembly.
- Toss the figs in the remaining honey mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine onions and cheese with figs and gently toss.
- Arrange on top of toasts and drizzle with good olive oil and your favorite herbs (parsley, chives, chervil).
- Cut into halves and arrange on a platter for the table.