Fig and Cheese Toast by Michelin Starred Chef John Critchley
Toasts, or “bruschetta”, are super popular everywhere from casual tapas to fine dining. It all starts with great fresh bread, a crunchy exterior, slathered in butter or olive oil, giving way to a warm chewy interior. Top these with the freshest ingredients and you have a great appetizer to share.
- 1 each Red onion, cut into rings ⅓ inch thick
- 2 Tbsp Clover honey
- 2 Tbsp good olive oil
- 2 Tbsp aged sherry vinegar
- ½ each sprig rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 each 1 inch slices of country bread
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 pint fresh brown turkey figs, cut in ¼ ‘s
- ¼ pound Cypress Grove, Hum-bolt Fog goat cheese, sliced
For the poached red onion:
- set the Cinder grill using the cinder app to the cippolini onion setting for a slow cook to 185oF.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, olive oil, sherry vinegar, rosemary, salt and pepper and mix using a pastry brush.
- Brush the onions with the honey mixture and reserve half of the mixture to marinade the figs later.
- Place the onions on the Cinder and close the lid. Hit begin cooking on the app and cook until temperature is reached. Approximately 22 minutes.
- Once the onions are finished cooking, set aside on a plate for the assembly and wipe down the cinder grill for the next use.
For the Toasts:
- Brush the slices of bread with melted butter and set your cleaned Cinder to 350°F. Once temperature is reached, place bread on cinder and close the lid. (cinder will do two pieces at a time of these big loaves) set a timer for 5 minutes
- Remove all the bread from the cinder and bring to your cutting board for assembly
- Toss the figs in the remaining honey mixture and season with salt and pepper
- Combine onions and cheese with figs and gently toss
- Arrange on top of toasts and drizzle with good olive oil and your favorite herbs (parsley, chives, chervil)
- Cut into halves and arrange on a platter for the table