Fluffy Japanese Pancakes
Fluffy Japanese Pancakes are like eating cotton clouds, deliciously light and perfect with whipped cream and fresh fruit or berries. This simple recipe is made even simpler with Cinder Grill as it heats up very evenly and maintains precise cooking temperature. With Cinder's Temp-Sense algorithm which maintains 1 degree temperature precision, it takes no time at all to cook perfectly fluffy pancakes.
Japanese pancakes are extremely popular (and all over social media) and notoriously difficult to make. However, this recipe is pretty much fool-proof. Try this treat for a refreshing brunch or decadent dessert!
What are fluffy japanese pancakes?
While similar to American Pancakes, or even buttermilk hotcakes, they have a very different texture. They’re much taller and softer, with a delicate almost soufflé-like texture.
These pancakes achieve lightness from a special ingredient, mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is just an emulsion of vinegar, oil and egg. When the pancake cooks, the vinegar completely evaporates and you're left with a light suspension of oil and egg that keeps the pancakes moist and delicious.
If you can, use real vanilla extract instead of flavoring. The taste is so authentic and perfect with these pancakes. If you only have flavoring, halve the amount added to the recipe so as not to over power the pancake.
Typically a Japanese Fluffy Pancake recipe calls for whipping egg whites separately then gently folding into the batter mixture to achieve a light fluffy texture. This recipe is still light without this extra step but if you want extremely light pancakes, try separating the eggs and whipping the egg whites until they're soft, white and fluffy then gently folding into the rest of the batter.
Share your creation with us by tagging #CinderGrill, we'd love to see your pancakes!
How to make Japanese Fluffy Pancakes
MAKES 2 PANCAKES
You'll need ring molds for this recipe to form the shape of the pancakes or you can tear strips of cardboard and make a thick cylinder with masking tape. We use ring molds that are 3.5 " in diameter and about 2" high.
FOR THE PANCAKE
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (granulated) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp butter
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract to another bowl and mix until combined. (You can also beat the egg white separately and mix in in the next step, but it's not necessary).
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture.
- Combine together until well combined and there are no large lumps.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir to combine again.
- Set your Cinder Grill to 300°F. Once heated, grease with butter.
- Place the ring molds down and pour the batter into the ring molds. Only fill up half way as the pancakes will almost double in height!
- Cook for 6 minutes on one side until golden brown and not too liquidy in the center. Then flip the pancakes and ring mold with a spatula or use your hands (in oven mitts) and cook for another 5 minutes until the other side is golden brown.
- Serve with whipped cream, syrup, berries, peaches, whatever fruit and accompaniments you love that are in season!